One of the growing challenges in hospitals and other shared space environments is the coordination of the RF spectrum. With so many vendors offering RF (Wireless) solutions, many of them mission critical, there is a strong need for verification of device compatibility with existing RF devices. Many health care institutions have experienced interference from:
- TV/Radio stations that can interfere with in-building telemetry systems
- Cordless phones and cameras that interfere with each other, or other 2.4GHz or 5GHz wireless systems
- Frequency Hopping devices such as cameras, RFID tags/sensors, Bluetooth, and others that interfere with other deployments
- VHF/UHF transceivers that are either malfunctioning or set to the same frequency as another transceiver
- Devices like PDAs and Laptops utilized by staff to provide patient care and to bill patients or similar devices brought in by visitors and patients themselves
Ask yourself: "Do I really know what devices have the potential of interfering with each other within and around my building(s)?" Without this knowledge, hospital systems can become inoperable or damaged with no warning, and remain that way until the very difficult task of tracking these devices is complete.
What can be done?
SideBand Systems has the tools and know-how to properly diagnose these complex issues. We offer the following services:
- Full Spectrum Studies
Appropriate for a large hospital, a Full Spectrum Study involves documenting all RF transmitting devices present in your environment. We use sophisticated RF analyzers, antennas, and software to guide our highly trained technicians to the source of most RF transmitters. We also have available the FCC database to aid in identifying and documenting all known and unknown devices. SideBand Systems will also meet and interview all key department heads to learn what RF products are currently deployed and for what purpose. When completed, you will have a comprehensive resource you can reference as your requirements change.
- RF Clearinghouse
As new solutions and devices are considered, SideBand Systems can research and document their effects on your environment before installation. We will work with your departments (IT, Biotech, etc.) as well as your other vendors to ensure a plan is in place for the proper rollout and operation of any wireless equipment.
- Interference Tracking
At times, critical systems can be affected and sometimes cease functioning when employees or visitors use unauthorized RF transmitters such as cordless phones and cameras. As these can be impossible to track without the right equipment, SideBand Systems is regularly called upon to find the source. Once we identify the problem, we document the incident and provide a solution to prevent a similar occurrence.